You have to join to submit listings to all of them, but they do generate free leads.
- Manta is a business directory that gets high search rank on Google. This link takes you to the “Add Company” page, or you can get to it from the main page.
- Merchant Circle is another directory of business listings that gets high search rank on Google. Enter your phone number on the home page and it searches to see if your business is already listed, then takes you through the steps if it isn’t.
- Yellow Pages Superpages – yes it’s free! It also gets high ranking on Google, but people just go here directly to look up stuff like they used to in the phone book. If you click on “Advertise” from the main page, it takes you to SuperMedia. From there, you need to enter your telephone number in the “Claim Your Business Listing” box on the left to get started.
- Google Places can be accessed from the Business Solutions link off the Google main page. It’s free, and when you first sign up you will show up in the listings, but it requires a review before your listing becomes permanent (which may take several weeks!). Google Places listings are those ones with the maps that show up at the top of a Google search, and are the businesses listed when you search under Google Maps.
- Yahoo Local can be accessed by going to the Yahoo main page, clicking on the “Local” link at the top, and entering your business type and your location, then clicking “Search.” This will take you to a local page, where you can “Add a New Business” from a link at the bottom, or just click here. There is a review period for Yahoo also, but it’s only 3-5 days.